Thursday, October 10, 2013
Monday, October 7, 2013
Fab FantasyOctober, for some of you that means HALLOWEEN! Oh yes, the one holiday that used to be just for kids, now a major highlight for adults (my Halloween costumes are way more ornate/involved as an adult than as a kid!) Anywho... on the heels of Fashion Week, Halloween posts are starting to filter in. You know the ultimate mix of dreaming about fabulousness and making your most ridiculous fantasies come true for a night. What a wonderful month October is.
Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup
- A Merry Diary: 5 Fashion Trends I Skipped!
- Bomb Petite: Petite Fashion Bloggers to Follow on Instagram
- Breakfast at Cindis: Isabel Marant for H&M Leaked Oops! but Yay for us!
- Daria Burkova: Yellow and White gold at NYFW SS14
- DressCode:HighFashion: The 10 Definite Fall 2013 Trends
- Foxie Oxie Supernova: 10 Ways to Embrace Luxury in the Ordinary
- Frantic but Fabulous: Ways to Clean Out Your Closet
- Happy Pretty Sweet: Halloween In Your Closet: Doctor Who
- Jolly Caucus Race: The Criticism of Vogue Shoot of CEO Marisa Mayer
- Kiri Yanchenko: Do It Yourself Milan Street Style
- Lara Lizard: Are you a grunge kid?
- Metallic Paws: Summer to Fall transition outfits 2013
- Modestelle: Milan Fashion Week 2013/14 Review
- My Bougeotte: Oversized blue shirts for fall
- Runway to Style: Paris Fashion Week is Full of Excitement
- Stilettos and Tequila: 6 Tips To Make Your Legs Look Longer
- Style Bizarre: Only one month to Halloween!
- Style Context: Five Anti-Aging Products For 20-Somethings
- We Are Ready Made: Don't Mess with the Prada Lady!
- Wild Beauty World: Do Facial Expressions Rule Emotions?
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Tuesday, October 1, 2013
|A close-up of a Saint Laurent SS14 red zebra and bow-tie sequined dress; a Stella McCartney patchwork lace dress; a red embroidered Elie Saab dress.|
A continuation of Part 1 of 2: Paris Fashion Week is Full of Excitement.
Monday, September 30, 2013
PART 1: A Review of Kenzo, Chloé, Céline, and Givenchy Spring 2014 Collections.
|From Left: A wine embroidered draped dress from Givenchy SS14; an olive pleated dress from Chloe; and the back of Celine blue pleated top|
Paris Fashion Week is about to end, but that hasn’t stop Paris from showcasing some of the top labels from the fashion industry. Some made a very surprising presentation like at Celine with its giant strokes of art tailoring and Givenchy in its number of intense draped jersey dresses, while others kept their lines luxe commercial like at Chloe’s modern fabrics , Stella McCartney’s intriguing sporty silhouettes, and Elie Saab’s injection of lace that would look great from daywear to evening. Saint Laurent also infused its bias grunge aesthetics into metallics, deep v-cut colored dresses, and of course black leather looks. And all this happened in only two days that explains why Paris is still the center of Fashion.
Sunday, September 29, 2013
Innovation exploded at the Christian Dior show on Thursday with an extraordinary setting that will have plenty to talk about all season long. With just less than two years since Raf Simons has been at Dior – which seems more than that – he has already caught everyone’s attention whether it be in a bad or esoteric manner. From international actresses, supermodels, to important political figures and the Princess of Thailand, all made their presence at this fashion forward trendsetting show.
Thursday, September 26, 2013
A review of Paris Fashion Week Spring 2014 Collections: Carven, Balmain, Nina Ricci, Paco Rabanne, and Lanvin.
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Monday, September 23, 2013
Falling for FallFashion Week, September Issues, Back to School (or just back to work) Shopping... Nothing is hotter than September for fashion. Even though fashion week's clothes don't hit the stores until next year, seeing the trends on both the runways and on the fashion elite gives us inspiration for what to wear now. Luckily we have amazing links to the fall finds we'll be falling for.
Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup
- Beauty Tidbits: 7 Easy Ways to Fix Sun Damaged Skin & Hair
- Breakfast at Cindi's: Cute Kids Take Over The NYFW Front Row
- Confessions of a Style Cookie: London Fashion Week : Mulberry VS Topshop Unique
- Corals and Cognacs: Target Does It Again: 8 Affordable Faux-Leather Finds
- Hey Mischka: A Q&A With NYC's Freshest E-Boutique
- Highland Fashionista: Shop Like A Teenager
- Hot Beauty Health: Fall Fashion Survival Guide
- Inspirations and Celebrations: Fall Fashion Trend Dark Florals
- Kiri Yanchenko: We Heart Burberry
- Le Style Connoisseur: The September Issues
- Mules and Manolos: Testing the Best Sites to Consign or Sell Clothes
- Nothing to Wear Novello: The Big Hair Cut: Why Women Fear Cutting Their Hair
- Runway to Style: An Approach to Minimal Femininity at Spring 2014 Shows
- See Lark: Phillip Lim for Target: The Aftermath
- Stilettos and Tequilla: 23 Quotes By Stephen King To Help You Become A Better Writer
- Style Through Her Eyes; 3 Ways To Be A Better Customer
- Style With Friends: Bow Bun Hair Tutorial
- Stylish Butterfly: Tips for picking tops that are trend-proof
- The Curvy Elle: Pop-Up Shop Observations
- The Lifestyle Project: An Ode to Quitting
Sunday, September 22, 2013
Saturday, September 21, 2013
A review of Fendi and Prada Spring 2014 Collections.
|From Left: Graphic Prada coat and yellow bejeweled shoes; Fendi spring 2014 laser-cut fur top and plastic organza heels.|
Friday, September 20, 2013
Thursday, September 19, 2013
New York Fashion Week may be one of the most stressful and crowded weeks for everyone. Not because of the 300 or more shows that are presented in one week, but because men’s and women’s collections interact between each other in that same week. Especially when your goal is to talk about them both. It’s really not a cheerful journey, but either way I managed to summarize together some of the menswear spring 2014 shows presented at New York that are worth a look for next season.
Monday, September 16, 2013
A review from the Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein Collection, and Marc Jacobs Spring 2014 shows.
|From Left: Details of a Marc Jacobs Spring 2014 coat; Calvin Klein cotton tweed deconstructed seams; Ralph Lauren spring 2014 floral pattern trench coat.|
Sunday, September 15, 2013
TransitionsSeptember is always weird. The leaves start changing colors, the sweaters and coats are in the stores, we're back to school, summer's over... but it's still stupidly hot! I've always been so excited about fall, I'd be sweating in my boots, and wearing sweaters anyway. What a girl does for fashion, right? Well, this week, we have all kinds of transitional posts. Transitioning from teenager to adult, summer to fall, day to night, and the call for fashion week to transition to the next level. We also have a hilarious post about 20th century fashion as predicted in the 19th century, it's so spot on--not. Either way, pull up a tall iced-tea (remember, it's hot out!) and take a look through these links.
Links à la Mode: September 12th
- Attire Club: Discussions On India’s Obsession With Fair Skin
- Beauty & Sass: take your summer dresses into fall with these essentials
- Chicisms: How to Dress Business Casual & Go from Work to a Night Out
- Corals and Cognacs: A Love Letter to New York City (in the wake of 9/11)
- Fashion Moriarty: Recurring Images: Combat
- Fleur d'Elise: 6 Un-Boring Coats forFall
- Foxie Oxie Supernova: Paris Photo Diary: An Open Letter to My 18-Year-Old Self
- Girl in Betsey: Diane Von Furstenburg NYFW Review
- Happy Pretty Sweet: A Brief History of the Dirndl
- Lara Lizard: 1893 and predictions of 20th century fashion
- Runway to Style Freaks: The Top Men's Fall 2013 Must Have Trends
- See Lark!: Easy DIY: Graffiti Dress
- Skye Charlie Show: Consignment Vs. Thrift Store
- Stilettos and Tequila: Behind The Scene: How To Be A Better Writer And More
- Style Bizarre: Say no to Style Labels
- The Girl With The Bun: 3 ways to dress for fall (when it still feels like summer)
- Tickle Me Chic: Does Fashion Week Need To Be Revamped?
- Undercover Dress-Up Lover: How to wear high-waisted shorts
- We Are Ready Made: A Pair of Shoes Everybody Should Own
- Wild Beauty: Beauty Archetypes: Whores
SPONSOR: Eastdane Stutterheim, CKU, M Nii, Generic Man, Tretorn, JW Hulme, McNairy, Diemme, Canada Goose,
Friday, September 13, 2013
|From left: Close-up geometric cuts of a Narciso Rodriguez brocade dress; A bronze metallic textured cropped top; A black chiffon with a ruched detailed bodice.|
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Monday, September 9, 2013
Sunday, September 8, 2013
Saturday, September 7, 2013
Jason Wu is no longer a 23 year-old fashion designer who designed for young girls back in his days. His grown, and so has his label - matured in a very beautiful and empowering feminine manner. It all started with cute designs, then luxury aesthetics, edgy tailored pieces, provocation (who can't remember his Spring 2013 one), and last season he tried to give us his "most mature and Extreme Femininity" collection. He's always looking for ways to intertwine real femininity - sensuality, authority, delicacy, sophistication - with his luxurious silhouettes; it'd make sense why First Lady, Michelle Obama, had chosen Mr. Wu twice to wear his designs for such special occasions. And for his new Spring 2014 collection, the designer embarked on another triumphant journey of the female silhouette.......making relaxed daywear tailoring feel as glamorous and easy as life should be.
He wanted to create "a dialogue between construction and ease," and it most certainly was present here. The collection emphasized much more on daywear - strong jumpsuits, safari vests in chiffon that only covered certain body parts with its pockets, trench coats paired with lace corsets on back for structure, an intricate biker jacket, knitwear tops, and sleeveless suit jackets - without loosing Wu's signature. He even included one swimsuit and kaftans paired with see-through lingerie laced details. Lacing was his sensuality etched in other jackets and dresses, like one white strapless piece. His constructed shorts and pants were noteworthy of an order, making every look seem effortlessly well put together.
What took away the show here though were his sumptuous metallic embroidered numbers of chiffon dresses - halter neck and spaghetti straps - that came in various colors (gold, light green, light gray, white, blue, and black). They may have been the most relaxed yet tailored dresses Mr.Wu had ever presented for a collection, but their delicate cowl-like drapery on the back transmitted luxury. These dresses were not meant to wear at night, because Wu envisioned them for daywear as did his other looks, and he may be on track of setting a trend of metallic embroidered dresses as the new must have "it" dress for casualness. I mean, who said glamour begins at night, when daytime is when you shine the most? Mr. Wu understood all that very clearly.
Thursday, September 5, 2013
Wednesday, September 4, 2013
Tuesday, September 3, 2013
Superficial on the SurfaceSometimes I get mad when people assume if you like fashion, you're automatically dumb or superficial. Then at the same time, I love looking at pretty pictures and dressing up... it's an escape and a passion all at the same time. Obsessing over fashion doesn't mean however, there's nothing going on in our brains! This week, we have a great mix of the tougher questions in fashion right along with the tips and tricks that enable our superficial exterior (that's not so superficial.... or is it?)
Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup
- Attire Club: Criticism And Attacks On Fashion
- Corals and Cognacs: A Blogger's Guide to Prepping for Fashion Week
- DIY Doyenne: Forget Numbers, Build Engagement
- Fashion is Evolution: 5 Fantastic Photography Books for the Creative Beginner
- Frantic But Fabulous: How to take care of your lingerie (so it lasts longer)
- Healthy Fashionista: The Fashionista's Guide To Foraging
- Inspirations and Celebrations: 2013 VMA Best Fashion - Top 5 Celebrity Looks
- Jessydust: 2013 Trend: The Baseball Cap
- Lara Lizard: So we are superficial!
- Nicole Kelly: How to recreate an outfit
- Noveltie: Perspective: Current State of Fashion Bloggers
- Mr. Walk & Talk: My Top 10 Tips for Smarter Shopping
- Runway to Style: The Fall 2013 Designer Collaborations Worth Knowing
- Savage Gem: Honest by 'Transparency'
- The In Club: Religion and Fashion- Friends?
- The Neon Blonde: 18 Fashion Tips I Wish I Had Known Before I Was 18
- The Style Enigma: The LBD In The Workplace Dos and Don'ts
- The Well Appointed Catwalk: Armani Diapers and Other Designer Crossovers
- We Are Ready Made: Conformity is the Language of Corruption
- Who's Aalo? DIY: Shooting "White Polar Night" OOTD
Friday, August 30, 2013
Monday, August 26, 2013
Thursday, August 22, 2013
This fall, designer collaborations with mega retailers are going to be bigger than ever. Mega retailers like Target, H&M, Banana Republic, Kmart, and others have joined forces with other luxury brands, models, and celebrity artists to give you something unique to choose from this upcoming season. Take a look below at some of the collaborations everyone is talking about, ready to buy, and must have in your fall calendar.
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Saturday, August 17, 2013
Naughty NinetiesIt was Halloween in 1988, I decided to dress up as a Hippie. A woman said something I have never forgotten... "You know you're getting old when kids start dressing up like you did as a teenager." Well, this is the year it's really happening to me. As someone who loved alternative chic in the 90's (a little grunge, a little goth, a little punk, a little ska) it's nice to see some of those styles "coming back" for nostalgia if not for anything else. While, I personally will take a seat back, having already lived it before, this week's links have all kinds of 90's themes to them. From Michelle Williams (hey Dawson's Creek hit in '99) to St. Laurent's grunge inspired collection, to the 10 Alternative Fashion blogs to watch, it's there, so just click!
Links à la Mode: August 15
- Bonjour Melanie: Michelle Williams for Louis Vuitton
- Bowtie Diary: Interview: Bug wooden accessories
- Carly Tati: Workwear Influence on Fashion, Part 2, Denim
- Daria Burkova: 10 BEST KNITS FOR FALL 2013 UNDER AND OVER $100
- DIY Doyenne: 10 Excuses for Not Aging Gracefully
- Fashion is Evolution: Texas Style Council Recap
- Inspirations & Celebrations: Sofia Vergara Style Inspiration
- Kittenhood: DIY wool beads necklace
- Lollie Shopping: Yes, Virginia, You CAN Afford Tiffany
- Mr. Walk & Talk: 3 Ways to Wear a White Oxford Shirt this Summer
- Racheeng: D.I.Y RACER FRONT BOX TOP
- Real Girl Glam: The 90's Are Calling: How to Wear 90's Trends for Today
- Runway to Style: The Women's Fall 2013 Must Have Trends
- Shaneynayguns: Trend Report: The Nineties Throwback
- Stilettos and Tequila: 6 Shoes To Make Your Legs Look Longer
- Style Bizarre: Top 10 Emerging Alternative Fashion Blogs
- Style Context: How To Create A Favicon For WordPress
- The Style Enigma: Four Ways to: Wear a Silk Scarf
- The Style Obsessed Cookie: Zara Fall 2013
- Undercover Dress-Up Lover: Houndstooth and other tessellations